UK PAYE Tax Calculator / Salary Calculator

The number 1 free UK salary calculator tax calculator since 1998. Calculate salary, national insurance, HMRC tax and net pay

Fears that many parents to be hit by fines due to Child Benefit

Fears are growing that many middle-income families will leave it too late to register for Self Assessment in order to repay the taxes owing on their child benefit. Registering can take 10 days, maybe more, at busy times.

With the January 31st self assessment deadline looming, this year sees a new group join the Self Assessment Return Club- middle-income parents. The new High Income Child Benefit Charge, introduced last year, has meant that any parent earning over £50,000 net a year, will have their child benefit taxed. The means by which this tax is collected is self assessment. Nearly half a million parents have already opted out of receiving child benefit in order to avoid having to make a self assessment return. However, there are growing fears that many of the 500,000 parents remaining in receipt of the payment and earning above the income threshold, have not yet registered for self assessment.

In order to complete an online self assessment return each individual must register with HMRC. This involves a code being sent out by HMRC in the post which can take up to 10 days, possibly more if many leave it to the last minute. Making a late self assessment return, by even one day will cost parents £100, regardless of whether any tax is owing or not.

Parents in receipt of child benefit during the 2012/13 tax year and earning over the £50,000 net figure will need to complete a Self Assessment tax return for 2012/13. This also applies to parents who opted out of child benefit payments during the year, but did receive a payment during the tax year. HMRC have attempted to contact everyone liable to make a return, but just because you have not received notification from HMRC does not mean you are not liable to make a return.

Parents in receipt of child benefit are being urged to accurately assess their earnings for 2012/13 to make sure they are not liable to pay tax on their child benefit. Fines for late filing of self assesment tax returns and payment of tax owing are immediate and accumulate very quiclkly. See our breakdown here to scare yourself into action!

Anyone who needs to make a self assessment return and has not already registered with HMRC is being urged to do so as soon as possible. HMRC have details on how to regsiter here.

For help on completing your self assessment return see our Self Assessment Guide.

Our article may also be of interest Tips on how to reduce the amount of Child Benefit you may lose.


This article was published in our News section on 08/01/2014.

Some Guides you may be interested in

  • Top Ten Year-End Tax Planning Tips for Small Businesses
  • Making Tax Digital for Small Businesses Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTDfV) comes into effect from 1st April 2019. With Chancellor Philip Hammond announcing in his 2019 Spring Budget that MTD for other taxes will not be mandated until at least 2021, all of our focus is now on the VAT implementation.
  • End of Tax Year planning - Use your Allowances to reduce your tax bill. Last minute Tax Planning. Our guide to what annual allowances you have and how to use them to reduce your tax bill.
  • A Contractor's introduction to Director's Loans There may be a time when you need to loan money to or borrow money from your own Limited Company. Director’s loans are wrapped up in fiddly bits of legislation. When borrowing cash from your company, care must be taken. You must ensure that you fully understand the tax implications before you take any kind of loan from your business.
  • What do you do if you receive a letter from the HMRC Let Property Campaign? So you've received a letter from HMRC’s Let Property Campaign? Happy New Year! From my experience, your initial reaction is likely to be one of the following......
  • A contractors guide to VAT Value Added Tax (VAT) is a standard consumption tax levied on almost all goods and services in the UK. If you’re a contractor, working through your own Limited Company, registering for VAT could significantly improve your tax efficiency.
  • Off-payroll working in the private sector - a contractors guide IR35 is a tax legislation used to distinguish between employees and genuinely self-employed contractors. Last month we compiled a comprehensive guide to IR35. Now, we take an in-depth look at how the ‘off-payroll working’ rules, introduced to the public sector in 2017, will be extended to medium and large-sized businesses in the private sector from April 2020.
  • Valid expenses you could claim as a landlord Are you a landlord? Maybe considering a new home, and letting out your current property? Maybe you’re working abroad for a while, and renting your home to make ends meet? Before you take the plunge (or even if you took it years ago), this article aims to help you make the most from your rental income.
  • A guide to expenses for Contractors As a contractor, working through your own limited company, one of the main benefits available to you is the ability to claim business expenses. Claiming expenses correctly can reduce your tax bill, it’s a vital part of running your company tax efficiently.
  • 7 reasons you could have the wrong Tax Code Your Tax Code tells your employer how much tax to take off your pay. What if your code is wrong? In the past 4 years, 1 in 3 employed taxpayers have been overcharged tax because their employer has received the wrong code from HMRC!

More from our News section