Tax Calendar: Important Dates & Deadlines
March - April 2020
Now updated with April dates, here's a list of important tax dates and deadlines for the coming months.
- 1st - 2017/18 Self Assessment payment now 30 days late = 5% charge on the tax owing on that day.
- 11th - Budget Day
- 31st - Closing date to claim for the Winter Fuel Benefit for this year.
- March - Last minute tax planning. Double check you have availed of all relevant allowances/ exemptions for capital gains tax, inheritance tax, ISA's and pension. Check out our article on making the most of your annual allowances.
Below dates relevant for Employers only.
- 1st- Last chance to pay any balance of 2018/19 tax and Class 4 NICs to avoid an automatic 5% late payment penalty.
- 1st - New advisory fuel rates for users of company cars effective from today.
- 19th (22nd if paid electronically) - PAYE, Nat. Ins.,Student Loan & CIS monthly deductions due. Last day to send in Employer Payment Summary's (EPS) for month ended 5th March.
April 2020 - End of Tax Year - Use up your allowances!
- 1st - Increase in Minimum Wage to £8.72 per hour for over 24's, for all rate changes see here.
- 5th - End of 2019/20 tax year. Last chance to avail of annual exemptions for capital gains tax, inheritance tax, pension allowances and ISA's
- 5th - Last chance to use up any unused pension allowance from 2016/17; or to claim back any overpaid tax from 2015/16; or to top up your NI contributions for the sake of your state pension for 2013/14.
- 6th - New tax year commences as do any tax changes such as the increase in the National Insurance threshold to £9,500
- 6th - HMRC issue Self Assessment Returns and Notices to Complete a Return for the year to 5 April 2020.
- 30th - Last chance to avoid the £10 a day additional penalty on outstanding 2018/19 Self Assessment tax return.
Below dates relevant for Employers only (Note payments must be with HMRC by the 18th this month. The 19th is a Sunday)
- 6th - Employers must check their payroll software incorporates the 2019-20 changes from today. Also make sure any relevant changes to employees tax codes for the 2020/21 year have been made.
- 18th - Your final Full Payment Submission (FPS) for the 2018-19 year should be returned by today.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - 1st quarter PAYE/Nat. Ins. payments due for period 6th Jan to 5th April 2019.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - PAYE, Nat Ins, Student Loan & CIS monthly deductions due.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - Interest is charged on any outstanding PAYE/CIS from 2018/19.