Tax Calendar: Important Dates & Deadlines March - April 2016
Now updated with April dates, here's a list of important tax dates and deadlines for the coming months.
- 1st - 2014/15 Self Assessment payment now 30 days late = 5% charge on the tax owing on that day.
- 16th - Budget Day
- 31st - Closing date to claim for the Winter Fuel Benefit for this year.
- March - Last minute tax planning. Double check you have availed of all relevant allowances/ exemptions for capital gains tax, inheritance tax, ISA's and pension. Check out our article on making the most of your annual allowances.
Below dates relevant for Employers only.
- 1st - Last chance to pay any balance of 2014/15 tax and Class 4 NICs to avoid an automatic 5% late payment penalty.
- 1st - New advisory fuel rates for users of company cars effective from today.
- 19th (22nd if paid electronically) -PAYE, Nat. Ins.,Student Loan & CIS monthly deductions due. Last day to send in Employer Payment Summary's (EPS) for month ended 5th March.
- 5th - End of 2014/15 tax year. Last chance to avail of annual exemptions for capital gains tax, inheritance tax, pension allowances and ISA's
- 5th - Last chance to use up any unused pension allowance from 2012/13; or to claim back any overpaid tax from 2011/12; or to top up your NI contributions for the sake of your state pension for 2009/10.
- 6th - New tax year commences as do any tax changes such as the increase in the basic personal allowance to £11,000
- 6th - HMRC issue Self Assessment Returns and Notices to Complete a Return for the year to 5 April 2016.
- 30th - Last chance to avoid the £10 a day additional penalty on outstanding 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return.
Below dates relevant for Employers only
- 6th - Employers must check their payroll software incorporates the 2016-17 changes from today. Also make sure any relevant changes to employees tax codes for the 2016/17 year have been made.
- 19th -Your final Full Payment Submission (FPS) for the 2014-15 year should be returned by today. Note from 6th April 2015 completing the final declaration checklist on your FPS is no longer mandatory. HMRC will accept a final FPS or EPS for a period from 6 April 2014 to 5 April 2016 with or without a completed checklist.
- 19th (22nd if paid electronically) - 1st quarter PAYE/Nat. Ins. payments due for period 6th Jan to 5th April 2015.
- 19th (22nd if paid electronically) -PAYE, Nat Ins, Student Loan & CIS monthly deductions due.
- 19th (22nd if paid electronically) -Interest is charged on any outstanding PAYE/CIS from 2014/15.