Tax Calendar: Important Dates & Deadlines
April - May 2020
Now updated with May dates, here's a list of important tax dates and deadlines for the coming months.
April 2020 - End of Tax Year - Use up your allowances!
- 1st - Increase in Minimum Wage to £8.72 per hour for over 24's, for all rate changes see here.
- 5th - End of 2019/20 tax year. Last chance to avail of annual exemptions for capital gains tax, inheritance tax, pension allowances and ISA's
- 5th - Last chance to use up any unused pension allowance from 2016/17; or to claim back any overpaid tax from 2015/16; or to top up your NI contributions for the sake of your state pension for 2013/14.
- 6th - New tax year commences as do any tax changes such as the increase in the National Insurance threshold to £9,500
- 6th - HMRC issue Self Assessment Returns and Notices to Complete a Return for the year to 5 April 2020.
- 30th - Last chance to avoid the £10 a day additional penalty on outstanding 2018/19 Self Assessment tax return.
Below dates relevant for Employers only (Note payments must be with HMRC by the 18th this month. The 19th is a Sunday)
- 6th - Employers must check their payroll software incorporates the 2019-20 changes from today. Also make sure any relevant changes to employees tax codes for the 2020/21 year have been made.
- 18th - Your final Full Payment Submission (FPS) for the 2018-19 year should be returned by today.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - 1st quarter PAYE/Nat. Ins. payments due for period 6th Jan to 5th April 2019.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - PAYE, Nat Ins, Student Loan & CIS monthly deductions due.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - Interest is charged on any outstanding PAYE/CIS from 2018/19.
Also: 13th Easter Monday; 23rd St George's Day
- 1st - 2018/19 Self Assessment now 3 Months late = £10 a day fine up to a maximum of £900 (90 days) for every day it is late.
- 31st - Employees should have received their P60 for 2019/20 from their employer by this date.
Below dates are relevant for Employers only.
- 3rd - Deadline to notify HMRC of changes to employees car/fuel benefit (P46) from previous quarter.
- 19th (22nd if paid electronically) - PAYE, Nat. Ins.,Student Loan & C.I.S. Monthly deductions due.
- 31st - Last date to issue P60’s for 2019/20 to employees.
Also: 8th Bank Holiday; 25th Bank Holiday