Tax Calendar: Important Dates & Deadlines
March - April 2020
Now updated with April dates, here's a list of important tax dates and deadlines for the coming months.
- 1st - 2017/18 Self Assessment payment now 30 days late = 5% charge on the tax owing on that day.
- 11th - Budget Day
- 31st - Closing date to claim for the Winter Fuel Benefit for this year.
- March - Last minute tax planning. Double check you have availed of all relevant allowances/ exemptions for capital gains tax, inheritance tax, ISA's and pension. Check out our article on making the most of your annual allowances.
Below dates relevant for Employers only.
- 1st- Last chance to pay any balance of 2018/19 tax and Class 4 NICs to avoid an automatic 5% late payment penalty.
- 1st - New advisory fuel rates for users of company cars effective from today.
- 19th (22nd if paid electronically) - PAYE, Nat. Ins.,Student Loan & CIS monthly deductions due. Last day to send in Employer Payment Summary's (EPS) for month ended 5th March.
- 5th - End of 2019/20 tax year. Last chance to avail of annual exemptions for capital gains tax, inheritance tax, pension allowances and ISA's
- 5th - Last chance to use up any unused pension allowance from 2016/17; or to claim back any overpaid tax from 2015/16; or to top up your NI contributions for the sake of your state pension for 2013/14.
- 6th - New tax year commences as do any tax changes such as the increase in the National Insurance threshold to £9,500
- 6th - HMRC issue Self Assessment Returns and Notices to Complete a Return for the year to 5 April 2020.
- 30th - Last chance to avoid the £10 a day additional penalty on outstanding 2018/19 Self Assessment tax return.
Below dates relevant for Employers only (Note payments must be with HMRC by the 18th this month. The 19th is a Sunday)
- 6th - Employers must check their payroll software incorporates the 2019-20 changes from today. Also make sure any relevant changes to employees tax codes for the 2020/21 year have been made.
- 18th - Your final Full Payment Submission (FPS) for the 2018-19 year should be returned by today.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - 1st quarter PAYE/Nat. Ins. payments due for period 6th Jan to 5th April 2019.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - PAYE, Nat Ins, Student Loan & CIS monthly deductions due.
- 18th (22nd if paid electronically) - Interest is charged on any outstanding PAYE/CIS from 2018/19.
If there are any relevant tax dates we are not presently including in our tax calendar, please feel free to contact us to request their inclusion.
This article was published in our Tax Calendar section on 01/03/2020.
More from our Tax Calendar section