UK PAYE Tax Calculator / Salary Calculator

The number 1 free UK salary calculator tax calculator since 1998. Calculate salary, national insurance, HMRC tax and net pay

October deadline for Parents liable for Child Benefit Charge

Parents over the earning threshold for the new Child Benefit charge have less than a month to register for Self Assessment or face penalties say HMRC.

Parents over the earning threshold (£50,000 per year) for the new Child Benefit charge have until October 5th to register for Self Assessment or face penalties say HMRC. 

Any parents who earn more than £50,000 a year and have stayed in receipt of their Child Benefit must pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge. HMRC's means of collecting this charge is by requiring those parents affected to make a Self Assessment tax return.

If you are liable to pay the new High Income Benefit Charge, and you are not already registered for Self Assessment,  you must do so by the 5th of October or face possible penalties from HMRC. 

Approximately 400,000 or so parents have already chosen to opt out of receiving Child Benefit payments altogether. Parents should note that even if they opted out of Child Benefit payments for this tax year, if they received any Child Benefit payments after the 7th of January 2013 when the scheme was launched, they will be liable to pay the charge and required to register with HMRC for Self Assessment. 

According to HMRC: "You are liable to pay the tax charge if all of the following statements apply, or applied to you in the 2012/13 tax year: 

- you have an individual income of over £50,000 a year, and
- either you or your partner received any Child Benefit payments after 7 January 2013, and
- your income for the tax year is higher than your partner’s. The partner with the higher income is liable to pay the charge if both partners have income over £50,000." 

See our earlier articles for more information on the Child Benefit Charge and ways to reduce how much you have to pay. You can also check out our Child Benefit Calculator to figure out how much you stand to lose from the new charge. 

If you are not self employed or already registered for Self Assessment, you will need to fill out the online form SA1 "Registering for Self Assessment and getting a tax return". You can contact the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310, 8 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday; 8 am to 4 pm Saturday.

You may also find our article on Tips to filling out your Self Assessment Tax Return worth reading. 


This article was published in our News section on 10/09/2013.

Some Guides you may be interested in

  • Top Ten Year-End Tax Planning Tips for Small Businesses
  • Making Tax Digital for Small Businesses Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTDfV) comes into effect from 1st April 2019. With Chancellor Philip Hammond announcing in his 2019 Spring Budget that MTD for other taxes will not be mandated until at least 2021, all of our focus is now on the VAT implementation.
  • End of Tax Year planning - Use your Allowances to reduce your tax bill. Last minute Tax Planning. Our guide to what annual allowances you have and how to use them to reduce your tax bill.
  • A Contractor's introduction to Director's Loans There may be a time when you need to loan money to or borrow money from your own Limited Company. Director’s loans are wrapped up in fiddly bits of legislation. When borrowing cash from your company, care must be taken. You must ensure that you fully understand the tax implications before you take any kind of loan from your business.
  • What do you do if you receive a letter from the HMRC Let Property Campaign? So you've received a letter from HMRC’s Let Property Campaign? Happy New Year! From my experience, your initial reaction is likely to be one of the following......
  • A contractors guide to VAT Value Added Tax (VAT) is a standard consumption tax levied on almost all goods and services in the UK. If you’re a contractor, working through your own Limited Company, registering for VAT could significantly improve your tax efficiency.
  • Off-payroll working in the private sector - a contractors guide IR35 is a tax legislation used to distinguish between employees and genuinely self-employed contractors. Last month we compiled a comprehensive guide to IR35. Now, we take an in-depth look at how the ‘off-payroll working’ rules, introduced to the public sector in 2017, will be extended to medium and large-sized businesses in the private sector from April 2020.
  • Valid expenses you could claim as a landlord Are you a landlord? Maybe considering a new home, and letting out your current property? Maybe you’re working abroad for a while, and renting your home to make ends meet? Before you take the plunge (or even if you took it years ago), this article aims to help you make the most from your rental income.
  • A guide to expenses for Contractors As a contractor, working through your own limited company, one of the main benefits available to you is the ability to claim business expenses. Claiming expenses correctly can reduce your tax bill, it’s a vital part of running your company tax efficiently.
  • 7 reasons you could have the wrong Tax Code Your Tax Code tells your employer how much tax to take off your pay. What if your code is wrong? In the past 4 years, 1 in 3 employed taxpayers have been overcharged tax because their employer has received the wrong code from HMRC!

More from our News section