UK PAYE Tax Calculator / Salary Calculator

The number 1 free UK salary calculator tax calculator since 1998. Calculate salary, national insurance, HMRC tax and net pay

New Tax codes to be issued as allowances rise

New tax codes to be issued to employers to take into account tax free allowance changes from April 6th 2012.

As we come to the end of the 2011-2012 tax year many people will find their tax code will change along with the increase in tax free or tax deductible allowances. These include personal allowance and married couple’s allowance. Personal allowance, for the under 65s will increase in 2012-2013 by £630, from £7,475 to £8,105. If you earn less than this amount you won’t pay any tax.

Employers and pension providers use tax codes to work out how much tax should be deducted from your earnings or pension. Your employee tax code should be updated before the first payday of the new tax year. HMRC usually sends details of the required changes to your employer but you can check your new code on their website.

If your tax code is incorrect you should notify HMRC immediately as you may be eligible for a refund. Having the wrong code may mean you either over-pay or under-pay your taxes. There are time-limits on reclaiming tax which can be found on the HMRC website.

Self-employed people can claim tax back on many business costs such as insurance, advertising, safety equipment, phone charges and stationary. But be aware of your dates, all tax relief for tax year 2007-2008 must be claimed by 5 April 2012.

This article was published in our News section on 27/04/2012.

Some Guides you may be interested in

  • Top Ten Year-End Tax Planning Tips for Small Businesses
  • Making Tax Digital for Small Businesses Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTDfV) comes into effect from 1st April 2019. With Chancellor Philip Hammond announcing in his 2019 Spring Budget that MTD for other taxes will not be mandated until at least 2021, all of our focus is now on the VAT implementation.
  • End of Tax Year planning - Use your Allowances to reduce your tax bill. Last minute Tax Planning. Our guide to what annual allowances you have and how to use them to reduce your tax bill.
  • A Contractor's introduction to Director's Loans There may be a time when you need to loan money to or borrow money from your own Limited Company. Director’s loans are wrapped up in fiddly bits of legislation. When borrowing cash from your company, care must be taken. You must ensure that you fully understand the tax implications before you take any kind of loan from your business.
  • What do you do if you receive a letter from the HMRC Let Property Campaign? So you've received a letter from HMRC’s Let Property Campaign? Happy New Year! From my experience, your initial reaction is likely to be one of the following......
  • A contractors guide to VAT Value Added Tax (VAT) is a standard consumption tax levied on almost all goods and services in the UK. If you’re a contractor, working through your own Limited Company, registering for VAT could significantly improve your tax efficiency.
  • Off-payroll working in the private sector - a contractors guide IR35 is a tax legislation used to distinguish between employees and genuinely self-employed contractors. Last month we compiled a comprehensive guide to IR35. Now, we take an in-depth look at how the ‘off-payroll working’ rules, introduced to the public sector in 2017, will be extended to medium and large-sized businesses in the private sector from April 2020.
  • Valid expenses you could claim as a landlord Are you a landlord? Maybe considering a new home, and letting out your current property? Maybe you’re working abroad for a while, and renting your home to make ends meet? Before you take the plunge (or even if you took it years ago), this article aims to help you make the most from your rental income.
  • A guide to expenses for Contractors As a contractor, working through your own limited company, one of the main benefits available to you is the ability to claim business expenses. Claiming expenses correctly can reduce your tax bill, it’s a vital part of running your company tax efficiently.
  • 7 reasons you could have the wrong Tax Code Your Tax Code tells your employer how much tax to take off your pay. What if your code is wrong? In the past 4 years, 1 in 3 employed taxpayers have been overcharged tax because their employer has received the wrong code from HMRC!

More from our News section