UK PAYE Tax Calculator / Salary Calculator

The number 1 free UK salary calculator tax calculator since 1998. Calculate salary, national insurance, HMRC tax and net pay

Less than a week left to make paper based 2011/12 personal tax returns

Are you making an electronic self assessment tax return for 2011/12? If not, you had better get busy with your paper based return or it will cost you!

Self assessment returns for the year ending 5th April 2012 are now due. Midnight on Wednesday the 31st of Oct is the deadline for paper based returns. Late returns will be met with £100 fine straight away. This £100 fine is automatic and will be applied to any late returns whether there is tax due or not.

Once the return is three months late, a further fine of £10 a day will be charged, up to a maximum of £900. Then at 6 months, either a 5% fine of tax due or £300 (which ever is greater) will be levied. Then the same again at 12 months, either 5% of balance owing, or £300.

If your return is late, you are best advised to register with HMRC to make your returns online. The deadline for online 2011/12 self assessment tax returns is not for another 3 months, the 31st of January 2013. For information on how to register for online returns with HMRC click here

The actual tax payment deadline is the same for both paper and online returns, the 31st January 2013. HMRC have issued a statement advising anyone posting their paper returns close to the deadline to obtain proof of postage. This may be necessary if you have to argue your case against a late filing fee.

For downloadable self assessment forms and more information on making a paper return. click here

This article was published in our News section on 25/10/2012.

Some Guides you may be interested in

  • Top Ten Year-End Tax Planning Tips for Small Businesses
  • Making Tax Digital for Small Businesses Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTDfV) comes into effect from 1st April 2019. With Chancellor Philip Hammond announcing in his 2019 Spring Budget that MTD for other taxes will not be mandated until at least 2021, all of our focus is now on the VAT implementation.
  • End of Tax Year planning - Use your Allowances to reduce your tax bill. Last minute Tax Planning. Our guide to what annual allowances you have and how to use them to reduce your tax bill.
  • A Contractor's introduction to Director's Loans There may be a time when you need to loan money to or borrow money from your own Limited Company. Director’s loans are wrapped up in fiddly bits of legislation. When borrowing cash from your company, care must be taken. You must ensure that you fully understand the tax implications before you take any kind of loan from your business.
  • What do you do if you receive a letter from the HMRC Let Property Campaign? So you've received a letter from HMRC’s Let Property Campaign? Happy New Year! From my experience, your initial reaction is likely to be one of the following......
  • A contractors guide to VAT Value Added Tax (VAT) is a standard consumption tax levied on almost all goods and services in the UK. If you’re a contractor, working through your own Limited Company, registering for VAT could significantly improve your tax efficiency.
  • Off-payroll working in the private sector - a contractors guide IR35 is a tax legislation used to distinguish between employees and genuinely self-employed contractors. Last month we compiled a comprehensive guide to IR35. Now, we take an in-depth look at how the ‘off-payroll working’ rules, introduced to the public sector in 2017, will be extended to medium and large-sized businesses in the private sector from April 2020.
  • Valid expenses you could claim as a landlord Are you a landlord? Maybe considering a new home, and letting out your current property? Maybe you’re working abroad for a while, and renting your home to make ends meet? Before you take the plunge (or even if you took it years ago), this article aims to help you make the most from your rental income.
  • A guide to expenses for Contractors As a contractor, working through your own limited company, one of the main benefits available to you is the ability to claim business expenses. Claiming expenses correctly can reduce your tax bill, it’s a vital part of running your company tax efficiently.
  • 7 reasons you could have the wrong Tax Code Your Tax Code tells your employer how much tax to take off your pay. What if your code is wrong? In the past 4 years, 1 in 3 employed taxpayers have been overcharged tax because their employer has received the wrong code from HMRC!

More from our News section