UK PAYE Tax Calculator / Salary Calculator

The number 1 free UK salary calculator tax calculator since 1998. Calculate salary, national insurance, HMRC tax and net pay

New Child Benefit Loss Calculator

Trying to figure out just how much the Child Benefit changes will cost you? Try our new Child Benefit Loss Calculator.

Trying to figure out just how much the Child Benefit changes will cost you? You can work it out on paper following the instructions in this article. Or else you can simply try our new Child Benefit Loss Claculator below. 

You will need to have your annual Adjusted Net Income figure, that is your total income (including interest on shares, savings, etc) less any allowble deductions such as pension contributions, childcare vouchers, gift aid contributions, etc.  If your annual Adjusted Net Income is under £50,000, then your Child Benefit payments will not be affected. Once over £50,000, you will lose 1% of your Child Benefit for every £100 of income over £50,000, so that if you reach £60,000 in net earnings, you wll have lost 100% of your Child Benefit.

If you want to do it on paper yourself, do the following: to work out what percent of your Child Benefit payments you will lose, take £50,000 away from your Adjusted Net Income figure. Divide what is left by 100 and you will get the percentage figure. Say you earn £55,000 after deductions. Take away £50,000 and you are left with £5,000. Divide £5,000 by 100 and you get 50, telling you that you will lose 50% of your Child Benefit payments.

For tips on how to reduce the amount of Child Benefit you will lose, see our previous article.

If you are losing all of your Child Benefit and you decide you want to stop payments altogether to avoid having to make a Self Assessment Return, read our article on the stopping child benefit payments.

Note, you should register for Child Benefit for every child you have, regardless of whether you choose to receive payments or not. Being registered has important National Insurance benefits. Once registered, stay-at-home parents still receive their National Insurance credits. If you decide not to receive Child Benefit payments, you still need to register, but tick the box on the form to say you do not want to receive payments. Otherwise you will have to buy back the National Insurance paying years you missed, while caring for your children, in order to qualify for your State Pension.

Child Benefit Loss Calculator

Amount Lost (%): £
New Child Benefit Amount £

This article was published in our News section on 21/02/2013.

Some Guides you may be interested in

  • Top Ten Claimable Expenses for Limited Companies Let’s start with a thought experiment. I’ll set the scene. You’re a limited company owner, and you, as the director, are the sole employee. You also - understandably – love learning about tax. You open up the Monday morning paper to find some exciting news - HMRC has hinted there are going to be some big changes in the upcoming UK budget.....
  • Salary vs Dividends A guide to tax efficient remuneration for Limited Company directors for 2019/20.
  • What changes to buy-to-let mortgage interest tax relief for landlords? Undoubtedly the biggest source of tax confusion for prospective landlord clients that we speak to here at TaxKings relates to the changes to tax relief for residential landlords, introduced by the UK Government in April 2017.
  • Top Ten Year-End Tax Planning Tips for Small Businesses Tax planning for small businesses is not always straightforward, in fact it can be a serious minefield for the unwary. The chances are however that you and your business could almost certainly pay less in tax, with help from your tax advisor. Here are some tips to get you started.
  • Making Tax Digital for Small Businesses Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTDfV) comes into effect from 1st April 2019. With Chancellor Philip Hammond announcing in his 2019 Spring Budget that MTD for other taxes will not be mandated until at least 2021, all of our focus is now on the VAT implementation.
  • End of Tax Year planning - Use your Allowances to reduce your tax bill. Last minute Tax Planning. Our guide to what annual allowances you have and how to use them to reduce your tax bill.
  • A Contractor's introduction to Director's Loans There may be a time when you need to loan money to or borrow money from your own Limited Company. Director’s loans are wrapped up in fiddly bits of legislation. When borrowing cash from your company, care must be taken. You must ensure that you fully understand the tax implications before you take any kind of loan from your business.
  • What do you do if you receive a letter from the HMRC Let Property Campaign? So you've received a letter from HMRC’s Let Property Campaign? Happy New Year! From my experience, your initial reaction is likely to be one of the following......
  • A contractors guide to VAT Value Added Tax (VAT) is a standard consumption tax levied on almost all goods and services in the UK. If you’re a contractor, working through your own Limited Company, registering for VAT could significantly improve your tax efficiency.
  • Off-payroll working in the private sector - a contractors guide IR35 is a tax legislation used to distinguish between employees and genuinely self-employed contractors. Last month we compiled a comprehensive guide to IR35. Now, we take an in-depth look at how the ‘off-payroll working’ rules, introduced to the public sector in 2017, will be extended to medium and large-sized businesses in the private sector from April 2020.

More from our News section