UK PAYE Tax Calculator / Salary Calculator

The number 1 free UK salary calculator tax calculator since 1998. Calculate salary, national insurance, HMRC tax and net pay

Working from home - allowances for the self-employed

If you work from home, understanding and calculating the expenses you claim can be a murky area. Guidelines and examples are given by HMRC, but these examples do not cover every scenario.

Below we cover two ways you can calculate your expenses and we also include a few expenses that you may not be aware of.

The ‘simplified method’ of calculating your expenses

The ‘simplified method’ is the easiest and quickest way to calculate your expenses and this method allows you to claim a flat rate for using your home as a workspace.

The table below shows how much you can apply on your self-assessment return for the expenses of working from home using the ‘simplified method’:

Hours of business use per month

Flat rate per month

25 to 50


51 to 100


101 and more


However, using this method could mean that you miss out on taking advantage of all your tax relief.

For full details on the simplified method see HMRC’s website

DIY calculation

The second way is calculating the percentage of how often you work at home, by how many rooms you may use and applying this percentage across applicable bills. To do this you need to understand the average % of usage of your home. This calculation does sound difficult, but once you have calculated your first expense, you will be able to use the same percentages across all other expenses you claim.



How many rooms do you have in your house? Do not count halls, pantries or small WCs.


How many rooms do you work in and for how long - as a percentage for the day?

2 rooms, lounge 25%

kitchen 50%

Divide each expense by the total number of rooms –

Gas £490 divided by 7 = £70

Then divide the room cost by the percentage of use for each room used for working from home

£70 x 25% = £17.50

£70 x 50% = £35

So, the yearly gas expense in the example is £52.50.

Now you need to calculate this percentage across each of your expenses.

Expenses you can claim for working from home

There are quite a number of expenses you can claim for working from home. And these include:

  • Mortgage interest or rent on your home
  • Utility bills including gas, electricity (not water, unless you can show you use water for business purposes)
  • Household insurance
  • Phone line rental
  • Council tax
  • Broadband costs
  • Cleaning costs – this can only be claimed if you pay a cleaner and you have a receipt to cover this expense

Here are a few other expenses you may not have thought about

Stationery – don’t forget to claim back your business related stationery expenses and these include paper, pens, business cards, envelopes, pencils and staples.

Printer toner and ink - you can claim back a proportion of the cost of toner or ink used for business documents you print. You will need to understand the percentage of business usage and apply this across the cost of the consumable – make sure you keep your receipts.

Property repairs – if you need to make a repair to your property, then you can claim this back as an expense using the DIY expense calculation above if the repair effects the area of the house you use for working from home. If the repair only effects the area you work in and let’s say you work in this area 60% of the time, then you can claim 60% of the overall repair bill.

You will not be able to claim any of the costs if the repair does not include an area of your property that you work in.


Simple TaxOur Favourite Tax App?
It's Simple

ListenToTaxman have teamed up with GoSimpleTax, the online self-assessment app to bring you, what is in our view, the easiest way of calculating and submitting your tax return we’ve seen so far. Key in your income and expenses into the app, and it will flag up any unclaimed allowances. Simple.

Once you’re comfortable with the information you’ve entered, simply submit via the app to HMRC. You’ll just need your Tax Reference Number - found on most tax correspondence. GoSimpleTax let you use their software free for 14 days. If you don’t think it’s right for you - don’t pay anything. If you do to choose to submit your tax information via the app, then at most of you will be charged £30 for their standard service (silver).

This article was published in our News section on 14/12/2017.

Some Guides you may be interested in

  • Top Ten Claimable Expenses for Limited Companies Let’s start with a thought experiment. I’ll set the scene. You’re a limited company owner, and you, as the director, are the sole employee. You also - understandably – love learning about tax. You open up the Monday morning paper to find some exciting news - HMRC has hinted there are going to be some big changes in the upcoming UK budget.....
  • Salary vs Dividends A guide to tax efficient remuneration for Limited Company directors for 2019/20.
  • What changes to buy-to-let mortgage interest tax relief for landlords? Undoubtedly the biggest source of tax confusion for prospective landlord clients that we speak to here at TaxKings relates to the changes to tax relief for residential landlords, introduced by the UK Government in April 2017.
  • Top Ten Year-End Tax Planning Tips for Small Businesses Tax planning for small businesses is not always straightforward, in fact it can be a serious minefield for the unwary. The chances are however that you and your business could almost certainly pay less in tax, with help from your tax advisor. Here are some tips to get you started.
  • Making Tax Digital for Small Businesses Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTDfV) comes into effect from 1st April 2019. With Chancellor Philip Hammond announcing in his 2019 Spring Budget that MTD for other taxes will not be mandated until at least 2021, all of our focus is now on the VAT implementation.
  • End of Tax Year planning - Use your Allowances to reduce your tax bill. Last minute Tax Planning. Our guide to what annual allowances you have and how to use them to reduce your tax bill.
  • A Contractor's introduction to Director's Loans There may be a time when you need to loan money to or borrow money from your own Limited Company. Director’s loans are wrapped up in fiddly bits of legislation. When borrowing cash from your company, care must be taken. You must ensure that you fully understand the tax implications before you take any kind of loan from your business.
  • What do you do if you receive a letter from the HMRC Let Property Campaign? So you've received a letter from HMRC’s Let Property Campaign? Happy New Year! From my experience, your initial reaction is likely to be one of the following......
  • A contractors guide to VAT Value Added Tax (VAT) is a standard consumption tax levied on almost all goods and services in the UK. If you’re a contractor, working through your own Limited Company, registering for VAT could significantly improve your tax efficiency.
  • Off-payroll working in the private sector - a contractors guide IR35 is a tax legislation used to distinguish between employees and genuinely self-employed contractors. Last month we compiled a comprehensive guide to IR35. Now, we take an in-depth look at how the ‘off-payroll working’ rules, introduced to the public sector in 2017, will be extended to medium and large-sized businesses in the private sector from April 2020.

More from our News section