Making sure you accurately complete and file your return (and pay the tax owing!) before the January 31st deadline, is essential to avoid fines.Sat, 09 Jan 2021
DIY Self-assessment for those who prefer not to pay accountant fees
We have published a series of handy guides to making your Self-Assessment tax return. In this newletter we are compiling links to our relevant Guides to make things easier for you. If you want to complete the process yourself, there are plenty of tips and information in the guides listed below.
- Our Self-Assessment Guide
- Self Assessment – expenses for the self-employed [UPDATED]
- Expenses you can reclaim back as an employee [UPDATED]
- Last minute tax return guide
- Working from home allowance for the self-smployed
- Home working allowance for employees
- Carry forward previously unused pension allowance to use this year
- Self-assessment advice for returning expats
- Valid expenses you can claim as a landlord
- A guide to self-assessment for Taxi Drivers
The easiest way to calculate and submit your 19/20 tax return
If you’re looking for an easy way to calculate and submit your tax return, then we are big fans of GoSimpleTax.
Why do we like SimpleTax so much?
- It’s easy to use
- Jargon-free – we hate techno-babble
- It actively identifies tax savings – missed tax-free allowances
- It has all the forms you’ll need
- You only need your tax reference code to submit your return – there’s no need to register with HMRC
Our team have used this software for their own personal Self-Assessment return. Anyone can use the software free for 14 days. If you find it easy to use and want to submit your return, then only at that point will you need to provide any payment details. For most people the cost is £46. Why not give it a go?
How does using GoSimple Tax support Listentotaxman?
We earn a small commision for any of our users who sign up to GoSimpleTax's software. Their software is a product we have no problem in recommending as it makes doing your taxes easier and more affordable. This DIY approach to taxation is the reason we started Listentotaxman all those years ago.
Given the cost of an accountant, and the amount of time GoSimpleTax can save you, we think this is great value for money.
Now for upcoming deadlines!
Jan 31st is the big one this month. All of the following apply:
- Deadline for online return of your 2019/20 self assessment form. £100 fine if its late regardless of whether tax owing or not.
- Balance of 2019/2020 tax return due, also first payment on a/c of 2020/2021.
- Supplementary 2019/20 forms P35 to be filed, and any liabilities paid, if corrections were required under IR35 rules. (Contractors)
- Last chance to renew tax credits for 2020/21 tax year.
- Deadline to make any amendments to 2019/20 tax return.
Wishing you all a happy and prosperous 2021!